Seeking to locate a missing pet is an excruciatingly painful experience that is nothing short of a nightmare. However, thanks to today’s technological advancements, purchasing a GPS pet tracker allows you to keep better track of your furry pals and alleviate away from those lost dogs wanted posters. The problem is there are a ton of options available, and each dog tracker features its own unique features, advantages, and disadvantages; it can get quite daunting on which pet tracker to buy. Many also have a monthly fee aside from you purchasing the tracker device. The good news is there are models out there that either cost a low price or have no fee at all. Now considering all these factors, we have a round-up, according to our assessment, of the best dog GPS trackers for your pup.
The Best Dog GPS Trackers and Collars for Your Pup
The Whistle GO Explore
Rated the top pick on everyone’s review list is The Whistle GO Explore uses AT&T’s wireless network and Google Maps to inform you when your dog leaves his specified safe space and gives live location monitoring. The Whistle Go Explore can be used to track your pet’s physical activity goals and specific health habits, in addition to GPS monitoring. Keep an eye on potential health problems before they get worse by monitoring their activity levels, calorie intake, as well as behaviors like licking, scratching and sleeping. The Whistle Go Explore works excellent in urban and suburban locations. Users can receive text and email alerts as well as medication reminders if necessary. The device is also shock-proof and waterproof.
- Location tracking
- Health, Nutrition, & Activity Tracking
- 20 – Day Battery life
- Built-in nightlight
- Chat with a vet feature (with subscription)
- Good battery life
- Features nightlight
- Multiple owners can connect
- With a subscription, you get access to Chat with a vet feature
- Attaches to dogs’ collar
- Requires subscription to use. The subscription options are either yearly or monthly/ $8.25 a month.
- It will not work well for dogs of smaller sizes.
Whistle Switch Smart Collar
One of the most innovative pet collars available is the Whistle Switch Smar Collar. This GPS dog collar not only allows you to track your pet’s whereabouts at all times but also lets you monitor their health and fitness. The device will let you set activity objectives for your pet based on their age, weight, and breed. You’ll be able to tell if they’re getting enough activity, consuming the proper food portions, and burning enough calories this way. The collar even has algorithms to know if your pet is licking, scratching, drinking, or sleeping too much. The collar band comes in yellow or black and has three different sizes to fit pets weighing 5 pounds to 75 pounds. You also get two interchangeable rechargeable batteries that come in various colors and pair with an easy-to-use app. You can also sign up for a Tele-vet, which grants you access to video chats, email, or text with an actual vet to answer all your pet pondering questions. Are you headed to the vet’s office? Whistle Switch can send your pet’s data to your veterinarian with their email vet icon.
- Two interchangeable batteries.
- 15-second update. This collar can track your dog’s position.
- Escape notifications via either text or the Whistle app
- It has an IPX8 rating, meaning that it can withstand submersion by water for up to 6 feet.
- Offer proactive warnings for over-itching, licking, drinking, and sleeping.
- Distance, calorie intake tracking to help maintain your pets your fitness objectives.
- Set up reminders for vet visits, grooming, medications, playdates, and other important events.
- Tele-Vet feature. Chat, call, video call, or email for free with a Tele-vet.
- 20-day battery life.
- Has an IPX8 rating
- Its app has more features than most competitions
- 90-day risk-free trial
- Requires a yearly or two-yearly plan
- It has the highest price compared to the other gps dog collars.
Tractive LTE Dog Tracker
The Tractive GPS dog collar device is designed for canines weighing nine pounds and up, providing tracking in over 150 countries via an iOS and Android app (or any web browser). It’s also lightweight and completely waterproof, making it ideal for dogs who enjoy swimming or splashing around in the dirt on their adventures. It tracks your pet via AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile networks, not only where they are now but also where they’ve been since the tracker was turned on. Its low lag times allow for effective real-time tracking that keeps you up to date.
- Live tracking and history. Know where your pet is and where your pet has been.
- Virtual fence: Create a virtual safe perimeter that will alert you once your pup goes beyond it.
- Daily active monitoring
- Worldwide location tracking
- Battery life is between 2 and 5 days.
- Works worldwide on various cellular networks
- Clips on to dog’s existing collar
- It does require a subscription to use, aside from buying the pet tracking device.
- In areas where cellular connectivity is poor, the app’s utility may be limited.
This GPS tracking device is the perfect size for clipping to your dog’s collar and holds up to everyday play because it’s lightweight and robust. With features like live mode and custom geofencing, you can keep track of your dog on your smartphone.
- 7-day battery life
- With advanced beaconing technology, you can reliably and accurately track your furry pet both indoors and outside.
- Easily attaches to pets’ collar
- You can monitor your companion’s whereabouts through geofenced zones, real-time notifications, and live monitoring and position updates using the mobile app.
- It features a return policy.
- Long battery life. It can last over a week without the need for charging in between.
- Works on 5 G.
- Requires membership after purchase
- The app also requires in-purchase payment to access some features.
Garmin T5 GPS Dog Collar
An excellent GPS dog collar requires no cell service, internet connection, or Wi-Fi. They are pretty popular among pet owners who go hunting with their dogs. Because you need to buy a handheld tracker in addition to the collar, the price is higher—but pet parents with numerous dogs to track may find it more cost-effective, as one handheld device can follow multiple collars. You can’t just clip it on and forget it because of the low battery life, but the Garmin GPS Collar is a formidable choice for trekking, hunting, or extended walks in the woods.
- 9 miles range
- LED beacon lights and Rescue mode.
- Battery life 20-40 hrs.
- Water rating: 1 ATM (Can withstand pressures equivalent to a depth of 10 meters.)
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery,
- 1" blue-collar strap, 18 1/2 " standard &
- 22 1/2 "extended range antennas
- charge clip
- No yearly/monthly subscription
- Has a long tracking radius (up to 9 miles)
- No internet or phone app needed
- You need to buy the transmitting unit separately.
- The battery lasts for only up to 20 to 40 hours at best. It does include a charging clip, so if you are out any longer, you will have to reload.
- It may not fit adequately on all dogs as it features a fitting neck size of only 9.5.